[DRBD-user] four bonded gigabit NICs

Bart Coninckx bart.coninckx at telenet.be
Fri May 14 00:10:25 CEST 2010

On Thursday 13 May 2010 23:48:22 Nathan Stratton wrote:
> On Thu, 13 May 2010, Michael Iverson wrote:
> > You'll probably be better off looking at an infiniband-based solution. I
> > just picked up two dual port Mellanox 10G 8x PCIe cards and a 1m cable
> > for under US$200.
> >
> > Aside from just bandwidth, the other advantage 1/4 of the latency of a
> > gigabit ethernet setup, although my suspicion is that you might lose some
> > of this advantage after your packets traverse through the IPoIB layers.
> >
> > As I'm still waiting on my ebay purchases to arrive, I might come to
> > regret this advice once I actually try to set it up and configure it.
> > *Caveat Emptor.*
>
> Doubt it, I have bought ebay infiniband for our LAB and 3 production POPs.
> So far we have not had any problems, like you said the latency and speed
> is quite worth it. http://www.robotics.net/2009/07/30/infiniband/
>
> ><>
>
> Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
> nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
> http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com

Mmm, amazing numbers.
Two things though:
- buying second hand gear is a valid option for own networks, but harder to
offer to clients. They expect stuff with warranty obviously
- disks are still going to present bottlenecks; It seems to me you would be
using like a small percentage of infinibands potential

Rgds,

B.