[DRBD-user] four bonded gigabit NICs

Nathan Stratton nathan at robotics.net
Thu May 13 23:48:22 CEST 2010

On Thu, 13 May 2010, Michael Iverson wrote:

> You'll probably be better off looking at an infiniband-based solution. I
> just picked up two dual port Mellanox 10G 8x PCIe cards and a 1m cable for
> under US$200.
>
> Aside from just bandwidth, the other advantage 1/4 of the latency of a
> gigabit ethernet setup, although my suspicion is that you might lose some of
> this advantage after your packets traverse through the IPoIB layers.
>
> As I'm still waiting on my ebay purchases to arrive, I might come to regret
> this advice once I actually try to set it up and configure it. *Caveat
> Emptor.*

Doubt it, I have bought ebay infiniband for our LAB and 3 production POPs.
So far we have not had any problems, like you said the latency and speed
is quite worth it. http://www.robotics.net/2009/07/30/infiniband/

><>
Nathan Stratton                                CTO, BlinkMind, Inc.
nathan at robotics.net                         nathan at blinkmind.com
http://www.robotics.net                        http://www.blinkmind.com