[DRBD-user] dual primary mode with which FS

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Tue Mar 23 17:08:56 CET 2010

On 10-03-23 10:02 AM, Florian Haas wrote:
> On 2010-03-23 14:52, Michael Schwartzkopff wrote:
>> Am Freitag, 19. März 2010 14:12:30 schrieb Andreas.Ruetten at hansenet.com:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> first of all please answer also to my email-address because I'm not
>>> subscribed to the ML.
>>>
>>> Here are my questions:
>>>
>>> I have to set up drbd 8.0.14 (Debian stable) in dual-primary mode.
>>> One node has to read and write while the other node only need read access.
>>>
>>> Do I need GFS or OCFS?
>>
>> Not really if you can be sure that the second node ONLY reads.
>
> Are you nuts? I thought you wrote books about this!
>
>>> Or would a simple etx3 sufficient enough?
>>
>> Yes. Mount option "read-only" in the second node.
>
> I repeat my above statement.
>
> I'm totally baffled right now.
>
> Andreas: you want to put a filesystem on dual-Primary DRBD, it has to be
> a cluster filesystem. No ifs, buts, or maybes.
>
> Question is, do you really need dual-Primary DRBD? You most probably don't.
>
> Florian

 From a purely technical view point, Michael isn't wrong. If the second
node never changes a single block on the DRBD partition, it can't
technically hurt it. Of course, you'd need to make sure that the node's
DRBD doesn't try to recover from failures without first fencing the
other node.

It's not wise, but it's not impossible, either.

--
Digimer
E-Mail:         linux at alteeve.com
AN!Whitepapers: http://alteeve.com