[DRBD-user] the timing of restarting thread

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Sat Jul 24 12:32:51 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 12:13:01AM +0900, Junko IKEDA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >> (1) start DRBD.
> >>      node01 is "Primary" and node02 is "Secondary".
> >> (2) block the replication port on node02.
> >>      # iptables -A INPUT -i bond0 -p tcp --dport 7790 -j DROP
> >
> > insufficient.
> > you have to block OUTPUT as well.
>
> Blocking both INPUT and OUTPUT goes to split brain, doesn't it?

What has split brain to do with it.
You seem to try to provoke replication link breakage.
Unless you also break all the comm links of your cluster management, or
you run drbd in dual-primary with unfortunately chosen settings, that
will have nothing to do with "split brain".

> > DRBD has _two_ tcp sessions per device,
> > one end will have a "random high port",
> > the end the configured port.
>
> Are these two sessions for "data" and "meta" socket as you mentioned below?
> I think I want to simulate the blocking of "meta" socket.

Ah.  Why?
Please step back bit and suggest which _real world_ scenario
you have in mind. What is it that you are trying to prove or analyse?

Appart from sniffing the traffic, there is no easy way to
determine which is which just from looking at it.

> DRBD can not replicate the data if "data" socket is blocked
> and DRBD reopen the new socket if "meta" socket is blocked,
> Is that right?

No.
If one of the sockets is detected to not work,
both are dropped, and eventually reestablished.

> >> if so, which parameter handles the timing of restaring, connect-int in drbd.conf?
> >
> > man drbdsetup.
> > online: http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/re-drbdsetup.html
>
> It seems that connect-int have some effect,
> but I could not find the right parameter...

There is no right parameter.
There are quite a few parameters that all have influence on
when a connection loss may be _detected_, also depending on current
replication traffic and mode of connection failure.
timeout, ping-timeo, ping-int, ko-count,
maybe more that I forget right now.
connect-int influences how often drbd changes between listen() and
connect() when trying to establish a connection.

--
: Lars Ellenberg