[DRBD-user] when using dopd, is it possible to become primary with peer dead?

Tony tony.smith.124 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 10:51:28 CEST 2010

Hi,

I am new to drbd/heartbeat and hope to get a brief answer for the
following situation:

- drbd version: 8.3.4
- heartbeat version: 2.1.4
- OS: centos 5.5 x86_64
- guide: http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-heartbeat-r1.html

I got it working without dopd. Now I would like to deploy dopd
following this guide:
http://fghaas.wordpress.com/2007/10/01/an-underrated-cluster-admins-companion-dopd/

The problem is that when I start one node and its peer is down/dead,
it refuses to become primary (its state is Consistent). I did some
searching and the best piece of relevant information I have found so
far is this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/drbd-user@lists.linbit.com/msg01164.html

Can someone please confirm this: using drbd-8.3.4 with dopd, both
peers must be available so that one can become primary? The above
thread hinted that fiddling with metadata could help, but it seems too
much advanced for my level. I tried:

drbdadm -- --overwrite-data-of-peer primary r0

but didn't work. Even after a

drbdadm disconnect r0

it keeps refusing to become primary.

Any hint please?