[DRBD-user] DRBD Vs RAID

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Tue Feb 2 17:19:48 CET 2010

On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 20:52 -0800, Qwerty-1 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can someone expalin me what is difference between RAID and DRBD.
>
> Thanks in Advance

Short;

RAID is designed for two or more disks connected locally.
DRBD is designed to replicate a block-device over a network.

Long:

You'd use RAID (software or hardware) to increase the reliability of
your _local_ storage over 2 or more disks.
DRBD would sit on top of your RAID and replicate that data to another
server for fail-over purposes.
DRBD can also allow two servers to access that data at the same time,
which you can't really do with RAID (ignoring the RAID that my underlie
a SAN/iSCSI etc), assuming you're using a cluster-aware filesystem
(GFS/OCFS2 etc).

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower