[DRBD-user] Question about server structure

J. Ryan Earl oss at jryanearl.us
Thu Dec 23 20:33:52 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Tim Mauerbach <
tim.mauerbach at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I am thinking about the structure of a new mailserver on top of
> raid1/lvm/xen.
>
> Two different approaches come to my mind:
>
> 1. One big LV as DRBD backing device for the whole guest (os + data).
> 2. One small LV without drbd for the base system + one big LV as DRBD
> backing device only for data (maildirs+mariadb).
>
> Is the maintenance overhead of 2 worth the performance gain?

I'd definitely go with 1, and it has nothing to do with performance.  If you
put the whole VM on top of DRBD, and then make that a primary/primary (aka
active/active) DRBD then you can live-migrate the VM between host and/or use
Remus VM-mirroring for VM-HA.  I don't see why anyone would ever go with 2
as leaving the OS unreplicated on the small LV exposes you to big potential
downtime as you rebuild a new OS for the replicated-data in the event of a
failure.  Am I misinterpreting what you mean?

-JR