[DRBD-user] Question about server structure

Tim Mauerbach tim.mauerbach at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 23 18:23:10 CET 2010

Hi all,

I am thinking about the structure of a new mailserver on top of
raid1/lvm/xen.

Two different approaches come to my mind:

1. One big LV as DRBD backing device for the whole guest (os + data).
2. One small LV without drbd for the base system + one big LV as DRBD
backing device only for data (maildirs+mariadb).

Is the maintenance overhead of 2 worth the performance gain?

Thanks for any thoughts
Tim