[DRBD-user] Understanding degr-wfc-timeout

Andrew Gideon ag928272 at gideon.org
Thu Dec 2 00:33:32 CET 2010

I've nodes 0 and 1.  I stopped drbd service on node 1 and then node 0.  I
started drbd service on node 1.  Should this use degr-wfc-timeout or wfc-
timeout?

This is the output I saw on node 1:

 DRBD's startup script waits for the peer node(s) to appear.
 - In case this node was already a degraded cluster before the
   reboot the timeout is 60 seconds. [degr-wfc-timeout]
 - If the peer was available before the reboot the timeout will
   expire after 0 seconds. [wfc-timeout]
   (These values are for resource 'drbd1'; 0 sec -> wait forever)
 To abort waiting enter 'yes' [13580]:

Because node 1 was stopped first, it was never a part of a degraded
cluster, right?  So using wfc-timeout is correct?

On the other hand, when I follow the same sequence but start node 0
first, I see:

 DRBD's startup script waits for the peer node(s) to appear.
 - In case this node was already a degraded cluster before the
   reboot the timeout is 60 seconds. [degr-wfc-timeout]
 - If the peer was available before the reboot the timeout will
   expire after 0 seconds. [wfc-timeout]
   (These values are for resource 'drbd1'; 0 sec -> wait forever)
 To abort waiting enter 'yes' [2623]:

It seems to be using wfc-timeout in this case too.  But node 0 was
running for a time w/o node 1.  So shouldn't degr-wfc-timeout be used in
this case?  Or have I misunderstood what "degraded" means?  I thought it
meant "running with only a single node".

Am I hitting a difference between stopping a node and "breaking" a node?
No.  If I break comm before I shut down nodes 1 and 0, whether I start
node 0 or 1 first, both are apparently using wfc-timeout.

So: When is degr-wfc-timeout used?

Thanks...

	Andrew