[DRBD-user] DRBD questions

Jiann-Ming Su sujiannming at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 08:30:27 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 4:19 PM, nash_nash <jigs2410 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I am new to DRBD as well as Linux.
>
> While going through DRBD set up steps i figured that i need to create a
> partition and mount it. And also try to allocate space for meta-data.
>
> My question 1) is it possible to do this on a server which is already
> running in development mode. OR do i need to start from scratch?
>
> 2) Can i copy 2 directories over to redundant server for e.g. /home/xxx/yyy
> and /opt/zzz ?
>
> 3) Is it possible to have the directories of different size on primary and
> secondary server?
>

> Please let me any other information is required .I would appreciate any
> help/tips.

First, you should understand that DRBD is network RAID-1.  It mirrors
data over the network.  The backing device on each node can be either
low level device like /dev/sda1 or a logical volume.  In the versions
I'm familiar with (0.8), only one of the nodes can mount the drbd
device as read write.  But, if you have multiple drbd resources (e.g.
/home/xxx/yyy and /opt/zzz), you could mount one directory rw on one
node and the other directory rw on the other node.

--
Jiann-Ming Su
"The system's broke, Hank.  The election baby has peed in