[DRBD-user] newbie 1st question

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Fri Apr 9 18:46:22 CEST 2010

Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm just trying my first steps with DRBD... lets assume I have the
> following base partitions/mounts:
>
> /dev/sda1/ --> /
> /dev/sda2/ --> /home
> /dev/sda3/ --> /var
>
> let's say I wish do have drbd on "/" and "/home"... are there any hard
> restrictions or just simple natural concerns in having the root "/"
> filesystem under drbd... ?

doing / on a drbd volume is really hard. it would involve having to most
of your system startup, including drbd, into a initrd or initramfs and
have the kernel bring all of that up before mounting and doing
pivot_root. putting drbd in the initrd/initramfs is something that is
frowned upon. so in other words, don't bother. its too big of a pain.

/home should be do-able on drbd and be relatively easy depending on your
distro. it should be noted though that, in the default operating mode
(which a newbie should definitely use), only one of the two servers can
mount the drbd resource. so only the primary will be able to mount
/home. your distro might not like having /home not available on system
boot up and make starting up the secondary a bit of a pain. but
definitely do-able.

hope that helps.

mike