[DRBD-user] Error when trying to mount drbd partition : 'Bad geometry: block count xxx exceeds size of device'

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Wed Oct 7 10:22:12 CEST 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 07:14:03PM -0700, clipclop wrote:

> Running DRBD 8.3.3 on Fedora 11.

kernel version?
x86_64?
who compiled DRBD?

when compiling DRBD,
it "remembers" against which kernel .config it has been compiled,
does that match exactly with the .config of the running kernel?

> Had a 5.4 TB partition operating under DRBD over several months without
> problem. Just last week the server locked up and the message log started
> filling up with errors relating to the disk, mostly along the lines of :
>    EXT4-fs: bad geometry: block count 1451919360 exceeds size of device
> (1073446912 blocks)
>
> After rebooting the DRBD partition refused to mount (even after specifying
> the type), with the message
>   mount : type erroné de syst .de fichiers, option erronée, super bloc
>         erroné sur /dev/drbd0, codepage ou aide manquante ou autre erreur
>
> The partition is EXT4 and has external metadata.  This is the kind of error
> I would expect if I had used internal metadata and resized the partition,
> however, neither of these is the case.
>
> In desperation to access the data I bypassed DRBD and mounted the logical
> partition directly, which worked fine.
>
> Wanting to reactivate DRBD, I demounted the logical partition, started DRBD,
> recreated meta-data and forced the node into primary.  Same error message
> when trying to mount the partition /dev/drbd0.
>
> In summary : can mount the logical partition fine, but not when using the
> DRBD layer.
>
> Has anyone seen anything like this ? Is there something obvious I'm
> forgetting?

Nope.
Any messages from DRBD or kernel in dmesg (or /var/log/messages),
while you try to mount it?

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT HA-Solutions GmbH