[DRBD-user] Error when trying to mount drbd partition : 'Bad geometry: block count xxx exceeds size of device'

clipclop clipclopnz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 04:14:03 CEST 2009

Running DRBD 8.3.3 on Fedora 11.

Had a 5.4 TB partition operating under DRBD over several months without
problem. Just last week the server locked up and the message log started
filling up with errors relating to the disk, mostly along the lines of :
   EXT4-fs: bad geometry: block count 1451919360 exceeds size of device
(1073446912 blocks)

After rebooting the DRBD partition refused to mount (even after specifying
the type), with the message
  mount : type erroné de syst .de fichiers, option erronée, super bloc
        erroné sur /dev/drbd0, codepage ou aide manquante ou autre erreur

The partition is EXT4 and has external metadata.  This is the kind of error
I would expect if I had used internal metadata and resized the partition,
however, neither of these is the case.

In desperation to access the data I bypassed DRBD and mounted the logical
partition directly, which worked fine.

Wanting to reactivate DRBD, I demounted the logical partition, started DRBD,
recreated meta-data and forced the node into primary.  Same error message
when trying to mount the partition /dev/drbd0.

In summary : can mount the logical partition fine, but not when using the
DRBD layer.

Has anyone seen anything like this ? Is there something obvious I'm
forgetting?

In case it's relevant, the server disks are all running off a physical RAID
card, and there's another regular occuring error message, but may not be
related, as it occurs even when the DRBD service is stopped :
  3w-9xxx: scsi4: ERROR: (0x03:0x0101): Invalid command opcode:opcode=0x4D.

Thanks in advance,
Simon