[DRBD-user] DRBD 10Gb performance

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Mon Nov 16 13:55:02 CET 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 19:08 +0100, Julio Rodanes - KNET wrote:
> The subsystem disk is a Adaptec 51645 RAID 5 with 3 disk ST31000340NS

Well, those are 7200 rpm 1TB SATA-II disks.
In theory, they vary from ~55MB/sec to ~100MB/sec across the platters
during linear operations, but RAID-5 does add overhead.

The Adaptec card I would expect to be able to extract full performance
from each drive on their own, but I have no idea

Have you tried any benchmarks on the array both with and without DRBD to
see what the native performance actually is? Preferably you'd test using
striping and mirroring too so you get a feel for how much of an impact
raid-5 is.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS
Senior Systems Engineer, Managed Services Manpower