[DRBD-user] [DRBD-announce] (drbd-8.3.6.tar.gz)

Holger Kiehl Holger.Kiehl at dwd.de
Fri Nov 13 08:35:04 CET 2009

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009, Philipp Reisner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am writing this announcement just for sake of completeness. The only
> reason for the 8.3.6 release are the new spec files for the RPM packages.
> These are now compliant with Fedora's packaging guidelines.
>
> The changes to the code are negligible.
>
> In that process, the whole way of building DRBD was changed. I.e. you
> need now to call ./configure before you call make.
>
> Upgrade policy:
>  If you are at 8.3.5, please stay there, no need to upgrade!
>
> We do not (yet) provide binary packages for our customers, because we have
> to adjust our build infrastructure first.
>
> Note:
>  The DRBD Users Guide's section on RPM building will get updated soon.
>  As it is now, it is wrong for building 8.3.6 RPMs.
>
> 8.3.6 (api:86/proto:86-91)
> --------
> * Make sure that we ship all unplug events
> * Introduced autoconf, new RPM packaging
>
> http://oss.linbit.com/drbd/8.3/drbd-8.3.6.tar.gz
> http://git.drbd.org/?p=drbd-8.3.git;a=tag;h=drbd-8.3.6

How does one compile kernel module for kernel.org kernel? Usually
one just needed to do the following:

      make clean all install

Now the way I got it to work (on CentOS 5.4) was:

      ./configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-km
      make clean all install
      depmod -a

If I just do:

    ./configure --with-km

Then the make install copies the files to /usr/local, although configure
says:

    checking for /etc/gentoo-release... no
    checking for /etc/redhat-release... yes
    checking for /etc/slackware-version... no
    checking for /etc/debian_version... no
    checking for /etc/SuSErelease... no
    configure: configured for Red Hat (includes Fedora, RHEL, CentOS).

What am I doing wrong or what is the adviced way to compile kernel module?

Regards,
Holger