[DRBD-user] DRBD read/write performance test - howto

firewall gabbep at gmail.com
Wed May 27 17:48:58 CEST 2009

p123^@socks4.com
Hi all,

I've recently installed and configured drbdv8 and would like to find out
what the read/write performance is please. I'm sure someone would be able to
point me in the right direction.

My drbd.conf file:

<code>
global { usage-count yes;}
common { syncer { rate 10M;} }
resource r0 {
         protocol C;
    handlers {
      split-brain "/usr/lib/drbd/notify-split-brain.sh me at gbp.net"; # not
working yet/ not sure how to test it...
   }
  on smallfry{
    device     /dev/drbd0;
    disk       /dev/hda4;
    address    10.0.0.1:7789;
    meta-disk  internal;
  }
  on bigfry {
    device     /dev/drbd0;
    disk       /dev/hda4;
    address    10.0.0.2:7789;
    meta-disk  internal;
  }
}

</code>

I found similar thread(s) on the same topic but I just cannot understand
what the commands mentioned mean and how to adapt them. e.g. this posts:
http://www.nabble.com/Why-is-write-performance-so-low--td23427928.html
http://lists.linbit.com/pipermail/drbd-user/2008-July/009893.html

What's dd, sync, etc? How can I use then to carry out read/write tests.

Before now I used dstat like below and transfered a few iso images from the
local hdd to /dev/drbd0:

# time dstat -df

Any help will be greatly appreciated.