[DRBD-user] meta-disk errors

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri May 8 09:58:57 CEST 2009

please do not hijack threads.
http://linux.sgms-centre.com/misc/netiquette.php#threading
rest of that page also recommended ;-)

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 04:54:27PM -0400, Yonnys Pablo Martin Olivera wrote:
> Hi I am new to this topic DRBD and all problems in the initial setup,
> I stopped a concern about the parameter of the meta-disk configuration
> DRBD. What we now call my interest is interest is my disk physical
> space needed to perform this replication.
> For example I want to replicate an LVM partition made of two GB.
> when it is installed file system (ext3) and restart the service this error appears:
>
> angel:/home/anyelon# drbdadm create-md r-cluster
> md_offset 1073737728
> al_offset 1073704960
> bm_offset 1073672192
>
> Found ext3 filesystem which uses 1048576 kB
> current configuration leaves usable 1048508 kB
>
> Device size would be truncated, which
> would corrupt data and result in
> 'access beyond end of device' errors.
> You need to either
>    * use external meta data (recommended)
>    * shrink that filesystem first
>    * zero out the device (destroy the filesystem)
> Operation refused.

I thought that "Error" message was clear enough.
But anyways.

> How much space must I have to replicate this size by example???????

your '?' key is broken :)

DRBD needs some meta data to store its "superblock",
its "activity log" (used for write intent logging,
necessary for local node crash recovery)
and its "dirty bitmap" (used to recover from link failures,
or remote node crashes)

superblock and activitylog currently are fixed size,
bitmap scales with backend storage size.

maybe you should just follow the DRBD User's Guide:
http://www.drbd.org/docs/about/

--
: Lars Ellenberg