[DRBD-user] LV becomes non-allocatable on other primary

Matthew Wild M.Wild at rl.ac.uk
Tue May 5 19:25:10 CEST 2009

George Negoita wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 2:21 PM, himanshu padmanabhi
> <himanshu.padmanabhi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I faced 2 problems on other primary side,
>>
>> 1. drbdlv1 has attributes as '-wi---' and not '-wi-a-'.I need to do
>> 'lvchange' here to activate it.
>>     Is there any way that  I can maintain their active state here?
>>
>> 2. PV,VG and LV are appears quite late,after 3-4 minutes.Why is this much
>> delay,operation being synchronous?
>
> Because LVM is unaware of the changes you made on it's underlying
> device (drbd physical volume). If you are using dual-primary mode, you
> should use clvm, which is a lvm cluster extension.
>
> I don't know if this works!! If you don't want to use clvm, you can
> try to bring down the second node, create the volumes on the first
> node, then bring up the second node and run pvscan/vgscan/lvscan. This
> should work as long as you don't make any other changes to the
> volumes. Maybe someone can tell us if i'm wrong here.

I've just been playing with a 4TB drbd volume using a dual primary
configuration, openais and clvmd on openSuSE 11.1. Things seem to be OK
so far. It appears that openais may have some issues though :-(, due to
it's youth, and the clvm stuff doesn't have a startup script, so will
need to play around a bit.

Of course you still can't use the two primaries without either a
clustered file system or as I hope to do, failover for iscsi based Xen
domUs on separate dom0 servers with multipath.

Matthew