[DRBD-user] changing protocol

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Mar 30 16:18:23 CEST 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 09:56:49PM -0700, William Francis wrote:

> In my test environment I've been testing switching from protocol C to
> protocol A.  The best way that I've (so far) made it work is described
> below.  However, it does cause and outage since I have to put both hosts
> into standby (via heartbeat).  When I try do to it live just by using
> drbdadm adjust <resource> typically the secondary machine becomes
> disconnected and I end up bouncing drbd altogether to make it work.  Is
> there a better way to change protocols or is that special exception
> where drbdadm won't let you do it live?
>
> current best solution:
>
> put both hosts into standby (via heartbeat)
> edit drbd.conf and sync
> drbdadm adjust <resource> (perhaps not necessary?)
> take hosts out of standby

on both: drbdadm disconnect
on both: change protocol in drbd.conf
on both: drbdadm adjust (or connect)

if you want to avoid "bad" decisions by the cluster manager during that
time (bad, because you know something the cluster manager does not),
better put the resource (group) into "unmanaged" for that time.

--
: Lars Ellenberg
: LINBIT HA-Solutions GmbH