[DRBD-user] changing protocol

William Francis wfrancis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 06:56:49 CEST 2009

In my test environment I've been testing switching from protocol C to
protocol A.  The best way that I've (so far) made it work is described
below.  However, it does cause and outage since I have to put both hosts
into standby (via heartbeat).  When I try do to it live just by using
drbdadm adjust <resource> typically the secondary machine becomes
disconnected and I end up bouncing drbd altogether to make it work.  Is
there a better way to change protocols or is that special exception
where drbdadm won't let you do it live?

current best solution:

put both hosts into standby (via heartbeat)
edit drbd.conf and sync
drbdadm adjust <resource> (perhaps not necessary?)
take hosts out of standby