[DRBD-user] "full sync required" after connectivity issues

Adam Wilbraham adam.wilbraham at technophobia.com
Mon Jul 20 17:29:22 CEST 2009

Hi,

This morning I've discovered that a stacked device I set up and synced
late last week for testing the concept of off site syncing had been
flagged in the logs as "kernel: [47748966.168000] drbd35: Writing the
whole bitmap, full sync required after drbd_sync_handshake." after we
had some connectivity issues this morning. Googling for similar has
produced only one useful thread "one of drbd disk need full resync after
reboot" from this list, which appears to have been a race condition bug
which may been fixed in recent code.

What I'm wondering is whether I may have experienced the same bug, and
if not what the valid reasons are for a full resync being kicked off -
are the connectivity issues between here and our DR site likely to cause
such an issue? There would have been hardly any data changing on this
device over the course of the weekend - it was just a Xen VM that was
doing nothing other than ticking over. Our off site connection can be a
little be flaky at times so I'm hoping that this wasn't the reason for
having to do a full resync. It suddenly becomes a lot of data to resync
if that issue scales along all 30 or so domUs we run.

Thanks,

--
Adam Wilbraham - Systems Administrator
TechnoPhobia Limited
e: adam.wilbraham at technophobia.com
w: http://www.technophobia.com/

Registered in England and Wales Company No. 3063669
VAT registration No. 598 7858 42
ISO 9001:2000 Accredited Company No. 21227
ISO 14001:2004 Accredited Company No. E997
ISO 27001:2005 (BS7799) Accredited Company No. IS 508906
Investor in People Certified No. 101507

The contents of this email are confidential to the addressee
and are intended solely for the recipients use. If you are not
the addressee, you have received this email in error.
Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in
reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the author
personally and not TechnoPhobia Limited who do not accept
responsibility for the contents of the message.

All email communications, in and out of TechnoPhobia,
are recorded for monitoring purposes.