[DRBD-user] changing IP of production nodes

Maros Timko timkom at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 21:14:59 CEST 2009

2009/7/7 Heiko <rupertt at gmail.com>

> Hi,
>
> i have a 2 node cluster that ran over a switch, I now have a dedicated line
> for heartbeat and drbd.
> This dedicated line has its own interface on the servers.
> Is it possible to switch onthefly from one interface to the other?
> I assume I have to change the IP in the resource section to the new one and
> than do an adjust resource?
> Wont this produce a splitbrain when In adjust the resources one after
> another?

If you are running DRBD in Active/Passive setup and nothing wrong happens
(nothing will activate your standby resources), there is no reason for
split-brain.
drbdadm disconnect all
<modify config accordingly>
drbdadm adjust all

With heartbeat V1 it is a bit more complicated. I think it only picks up
config changes during service start. So I would suggest to stop heartbeat on
standby node before you proceed.

> Both hosts have entries in our nameserver which point to the IP on eth0 and
> not onto the dedicated IP.
> Is a simple entry in the /etc/hosts enough to point drbd/heartbeat into the
> right direction?
>
> When i adjust heartbeat to the new settings, can I just change the ucast
> entries to the new IP-Addresses?
> Since the howto says it would better to use 2 channels should I add the 2
> new IP addresses and keep the old ones?
> This would mean 4 ucast entries and 2 node entries, right?

This will probably require restart of heartbeat - it means restart of
resources. Can you live with that? If not, you can try
killall -9 heartbeat

Tino