[DRBD-user] changing IP of production nodes

Heiko rupertt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 14:21:05 CEST 2009

Hi,

i have a 2 node cluster that ran over a switch, I now have a dedicated line
for heartbeat and drbd.
This dedicated line has its own interface on the servers.
Is it possible to switch onthefly from one interface to the other?
I assume I have to change the IP in the resource section to the new one and
than do an adjust resource?
Wont this produce a splitbrain when In adjust the resources one after
another?

Both hosts have entries in our nameserver which point to the IP on eth0 and
not onto the dedicated IP.
Is a simple entry in the /etc/hosts enough to point drbd/heartbeat into the
right direction?

When i adjust heartbeat to the new settings, can I just change the ucast
entries to the new IP-Addresses?
Since the howto says it would better to use 2 channels should I add the 2
new IP addresses and keep the old ones?
This would mean 4 ucast entries and 2 node entries, right?

my current drbd.conf looks like this:

esource bloon {
  protocol C;
  startup {
    degr-wfc-timeout 120;    # 2 minutes.
    degr-wfc-timeout 120; ## 2 minutes.
  }
  disk {
    on-io-error   detach;
  }
  net {
        after-sb-0pri disconnect;
        after-sb-1pri disconnect;
        after-sb-2pri disconnect;

#       allow-two-primaries;
        after-sb-0pri discard-zero-changes;
        after-sb-1pri discard-secondary;
        timeout 60;
#       connect-int 10;
#       ping-int 10;
#       max-buffers 2048;
#       max-epoch-size 2048;
  }
  syncer {
#    group 100;
    al-extents 257;
        rate 20M;
  }

  on xen-a1 {
    device    /dev/drbd0;
    disk      /dev/VolGroup00/lv_bloon;
    address   172.17.8.201:7788;
    meta-disk internal;
  }

  on xen-b1 {
    device    /dev/drbd0;
    disk      /dev/VolGroup00/lv_bloon;
    address   172.17.8.202:7788;
    meta-disk internal;
  }
}

and my  looks ha.cf like this:

#use_logd on
logfile /var/log/ha-log
debugfile /var/log/ha-debug
logfacility local0
keepalive 2
deadtime 10
warntime 3
initdead 20
udpport 694
ucast eth0 172.17.8.201 #old
ucast eth0 172.17.8.202 #old
#ucast eth1 172.31.0.1 #new
#ucast eth1 172.31.0.2 #new
node xen-a1
node xen-b1
auto_failback on

sorry for double positing, but i think this is kind of a new matter.

cheers

.r