[DRBD-user] Slow Lustre performance over DRBD

Somsak Sriprayoonsakul somsaks at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 07:14:24 CET 2009

Dear List,

   I am setting up a 4 nodes Lustre cluster. The Cluster consist of

1. 2 nodes with a shared external storage of about 800GB, this one did't
use DRBD. These nodes served as Lustre MDS in active passive mode.

2. 2 Sun X4500 nodes, which contains 48 disks of 750GB. These nodes
served as Lustre OSSs. 2 boot disks was combined using RAID1 for OS
installation. For the rest of 46 disks, I divided it into 6 group of
RAID10 which contains 8 hdds per group (one group use 2 vacant
partitions available after making RAID1 of OS drive). All the RAID were
configured using software raid (this thumper does not support hardware
raid).

   Note that, both X4500 nodes were using Infiniband SDR (10Gbps)
connecting to each client. Each client has DDR (20Gbps) infiniband
installed.

   I conducted a test by creating Lustre over the that 6 RAID10 (3 from
a node, another 3 from another node) without DRBD, and run iozone in
parallel mode (-t 8 -+m) of 8 clients over Infiniband yield the total
performance of about 1.3 - 1.4GB/s. I monitored the raid device by
"iostat -d 2 -k), each RAID10 could deliver about 200+MB/s per RAID.

   Then I switch over to DRBD, one device per RAID group mirroring to
neighbor node. Each node served 3 primary DRBD exported as Lustre OSSs.
Then I conduct the same test again, but this time the performance is
down to only about 350MB/s maximum. I did iostat on each machine and
each RAID only deliver about 50+MB/s. This was the maximum I got from
tweaking many parameters in drbd.conf. Attached with this e-mail is the
current configuration used in this set-up.
     I think I already tweak and adjust all parameters I could already.
I am aware that the performance over DRBD will be slower, but I think it
should be at least about 600-700MB/s. I also test switching over to
Gigabit Ethernet for DRBD but the performance is much worse, as expected.

   Could anyone suggest the performance tuning for my set-up?

Rgds,

Somsak Sriprayoonsakul
INOX (Innovative Extremist)
Operation manager

somsak at inox.co.th

#
# please have a a look at the example configuration file in
# /usr/share/doc/drbd82/drbd.conf
#
global {
  usage-count no;