[DRBD-user] Mount filesystem on both servers?

Gordan Bobic drbd at bobich.net
Thu Jan 22 17:05:58 CET 2009

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:32:15 +0100, Michael Grant <mgrant at grant.org> wrote:
> I'm about to set this up too.  I almost hate to ask this, but is there
> a general preference of OCFS2 over GFS for primary/primary use?

Some people claim that OCFS2 goes faster than GFS, but I have yet to see
any conclusive evidence for this in the general case. One thing to consider
is what you are using it for. If you are configuring fail-over resources
(e.g. IP addresses) and using OCFS2, you will also need heartbeat, and
fencing agents for your hardware. OTOH, GFS required RHCS to be running,
which handles fail-over resources and comes with fencing agents for a lot
of commonly used hardware, so you can stick with a more streamlined,
unified solution. My personal preference is for GFS because I'd rather have
one config than two. YMMV.

> With a primary/primary setup, is it advisable to have a
> web/email/login server using the same file system?  For mail, two
> machines using the same /var/mail, for web and user files, I don't see
> much problem.

That depends on your use case. It depends on how your applications work and
what your web stuff depends on (e.g. databases). Also not sure what you
mean by login server.

If you want to go completely shared on everything (including GFS root on
DRBD), you may want to look at the Open Shared Root project. I submitted a
patch to add support for DRBD in OSR last year, and have several such
clusters in production.

Gordan