[DRBD-user] One question about the scenario on the Primary node powered-off unexceptedly

leishou yu leishou.yu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:45:08 CET 2009

Hi list,
I have a cluster with two nodes based on DRBD 0.7.24.

Node1    <--------------------------------------->  Node2
(Active)               (Protocol C)              (inActive)

The scenario of my test case is:
Step 1. When a write request  to the Node1 arrives, Node1 transfers the
request to the local disk driver and the peer.
Step 2. Suppose the Node2 receives the data packets and writes to its local
disk completely, but the corresponding action is delayed  in Node1( maybe
for some random reasons).
Step 3. At that very moment, Node1 is powered -off unexceptedly; the data
waiting  in the buffer is lost.
Step 4. The cluster manager promotes Node 2 from secondary to primary.
Step 5. Node 1 is powered-on again.

So, the Node 2 has more on-disk data  than Node 1.
My question is:
1) Will Node 2 just make a backgroud resync to Node 1 for that unfinished
write request?  or
2) Node 1 makes Node 2 to drop the result of that unfinished write request
(Node 1 resync Node 2)?

Thanks a lot.