[DRBD-user] stacking query

Motoharu Kubo mkubo at 3ware.co.jp
Mon Aug 17 11:50:16 CEST 2009

Hi Richard,

> What is the address specified in the stacked-on-top-of section?

The good reading is the DRBD Users Guide at www.drbd.org.

There is a figure about concept of three-way replication in PartI
"Introduction to DRBD"
(http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/s-three-way-repl.html).

Figure 2.1 "DRBD resource stacking" shows that "stacked-on-top-of" side
(the upper layer) DRBD must runs on top of PRIMARY lower layer DRBD.
Therefore the IP address of "stacked-on-top-of" section should be one of
floating address (virtual address) controlled by cluster manager.

Please also refer to section "Creating a three-node setup" in Part III
(http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/s-three-nodes.html).

I usually use eth1 for lower layer DRBD and eth0 for upper layer DRBD as
well as service.  For example, when using example configuration in Part
III, 10.0.0.0/24 belongs to eth1.  The eth0 address of alice and bob
would be 192.168.42.100 and 192.168.42.101, respectively.  My cluster
manager should assign 192.168.42.1 to eth0:0 of active node.

Hope this helps you.

Motoharu Kubo
ThirdWare Inc.