[DRBD-user] drbd or rsync?

Sally-Anne Edwards sallyanne.edwards at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 8 09:28:39 CEST 2009

> However, how would this compare to using rsync?  Which will be more
> efficient and safer?

No responses so far it seems...

This thread is the top response in Google:

http://forums.novell.com/novell-product-support-forums/suse-linux-enterprise-server-sles/sles-configure-administer/368438-rsync-vs-drbd.html

The second response gives the conclusion `At some point drdb will
leave you working a very long weekend' - is it really that far from
production quality?

I don't have a team of UNIX engineers to support it 24x7 - I want
something that just runs, and doesn't disrupt my weekends.  If the
data centre blows up on the weekend, I just want to know that the data
is safely stored elsewhere.  The risk of downtime is manageable and HA
is not strictly required.

Is drbd something that needs to be constantly watched and maintained,
or will it just run by itself?