[DRBD-user] drbd or rsync?

Sally-Anne Edwards sallyanne.edwards at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 7 09:27:41 CEST 2009

I just saw this story about how the FBI is now seizing whole data centres:

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/04/03/231220

and was worrying about how best to protect and preserve my data.

Using drbd (async mode) to keep a copy of the data in another data
centre seems like a reasonable idea.

However, how would this compare to using rsync?  Which will be more
efficient and safer?

It would appear that drbd will keep the data more up-to-date, while
rsync may use less bandwidth (because it only gets run periodically)

I've also seen some threads on this list and others about using the
secondary for backup, and that is an important part of what I want to
achieve.  Is there any best practice for doing this?  Any other
comments on these issues?