[DRBD-user] block-drbd and Xen

Alexandre Biancalana biancalana at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 03:25:44 CEST 2008

Hi list,

 I know that this subject was discussed before but I don't find any
definitive answer to this question, so I hope that this message can
help people finding this in future.

  I installed Debian 4 (etch), Xen 3.2 and DRBD 8.0.13 (from
backports).  The objective is to build a two-node Linux HA to
virtualize some legacy services and development machines.

  My question is about block-drbd script, when I try to boot a virtual
machine using a drbd disk resource like this:

disk   = [ 'drbd:app01,hda,w' ]

I get a lot of errors in the virtual machines, windows 2k gives the message:
 disk i/o error: Status = 00000c00
 Setup cannot access this disk

  linux with kernel 2.6 gives:
hda: task_in_intr:  status=0x41 { DriveReady Error }
hda: task_in_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

and both only detect 1MB disk that can't be used.

When I use the drbd device directly:

disk    = [ 'phy:/dev/drbd0,hda,w' ]

 everything works great, but I don't want to write wrapper scripts to
handle live migration.

I already tried to do this setup with Cent5 too but the error is the
same and the people at centos-virt list say the this only work with
Xen > 3.1, I tried to see if block-drbd script changes between 8.0.13
and 8.2.6, but the script is the same.

Can someone point me the correct direction to have xen working happy with drbd ?

Thanks in advance.

Alexandre