[DRBD-user] drbdlinks useful?

Saul, Markus Markus.Saul at danet.de
Tue Oct 14 14:07:31 CEST 2008

Hello Stefan,
the question is: what do you want to do with postfix if your shared partition is not available or
if your cluster node is in an inactive role for the resource postfix?
It is quite likely you still may want to have email functionality. But you really do not want to have the same configuration
parameters active on two nodes in most cases, so a clean separation between local and cluster config should be done.
Another point is the question about software updates, which are done quite nicely if you still have the whole application
available locally with its correct paths, and you therefore don't need to switch between the cluster nodes to do an update.
This of course assumes that you copied the relevant data to the cluster (/shared/mail) and did not just move it there.
drbdlinks is from my experience a good tool to achieve the above goals, and it gives you a central place
to manage all the links from your applications in a "standard" kind of way, and by editing a single file.
Of course this all assumes you have a cluster manager software running, like Heartbeat, for which a resource agent
"drbdlinks" exists. The resource agent then manages the links for you (more correct: Heartbeat uses the agent to start/stop it).

Hope this helps,

 Markus