[DRBD-user] drbdlinks useful?

Stefan Seifert nine at detonation.org
Tue Oct 14 11:20:59 CEST 2008

Hi,

I just have a little question about experiences. I'm setting up a fail-over
cluster for your web- and mail- servers. For example the /etc/postfix of the
mailserver should be on the shared drbd volume (/shared/mail), so in case of
a failover, it's available to the other server. This server also has
an /etc/postfix for it's local mail server, which should be replaced by the
shared one in case of a failover.

I could now:
* simply always link /etc/postfix to /shared/mail/etc/postfix and have the
local one automatically hidden by mounting /shared/mail over it. Or
* use drbdlinks to move away /etc/postfix and link it
to /shared/mail/etc/postfix

I now wonder, what's the better solution. With drbdlinks I could have the
local config still available for modification even when my mailserver is
down. But this is at the expense of added complexity to that already very
complex cluster stuff. Also I could just do a bind mount of / to somewhere
else if I need to access the local config while /shared/mail is mounted.

So what's the real benefit of drbdlinks? Any practical experience?

Thanks for input!

Regards,
Stefan