[DRBD-user] Help with initial setup

kevin kempter kevin at kevinkempterllc.com
Wed Oct 8 22:33:24 CEST 2008

Hi List;

I'm a newbie to DRBD and I've hit a snag.

Here's what I've done:

1) I setup 2 new installs of CentOS v5 (32bit) as VM's via vmware
server on a Dell 2900 (quad core, 16Gram, single RAID slice, etc)

Note: I created /stage as a separate ext2 filesystem (mounted from /
dev/sda2). This is the filesystem I want to replicate with drbd

2) downloaded and compiled the drbd source (v 8.2.6) on both servers

$ tar -xzvf drbd-8.2.6.tar.gz
$ make clean all

3) ran the install
# make install

4) edited my /etc/drbd.conf on both servers (VM's) to look like this:

global {
     usage-count yes;
}

common {
   protocol C;
}

resource r0 {

   on CentOS-32-VM1 {
     device     /dev/drbd1;
     disk       /dev/sda2;
     address    192.168.1.50:7788;
     meta-disk  internal;
   }

   on CentOS-32-VM2 {
     device    /dev/drbd1;
     disk      /dev/sda2;
     address   192.168.1.51:7788;
     meta-disk internal;
   }
}

5) Installed the drbd module

# modprobe drbd

6) attempted to run drbdadm attach

# drbdadm attach r0

/dev/drbd1: Failure: (114) Lower device is already claimed. This
usually means it is mounted.
Command 'drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 disk /dev/sda2 /dev/sda2 internal --set-
defaults --create-device' terminated with exit code 10

7) I thought based on the msg above that /dev/sda2 maybe should not be
mounted so I unmounted /stage and tried again:

# umount /stage (did this on both servers)

# drbdadm attach r0
/dev/drbd1: Failure: (119) No valid meta-data signature found.

	==> Use 'drbdadm create-md res' to initialize meta-data area. <==

Command 'drbdsetup /dev/drbd1 disk /dev/sda2 /dev/sda2 internal --set-
defaults --create-device' terminated with exit code 10

Anyone have any thoughts ?

Thanks in advance...