[DRBD-user] URGENT Request for DRBD Developers

Dmitry S. Makovey dmitry at athabascau.ca
Sat May 24 01:52:25 CEST 2008

On May 23, 2008, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> A whopping total of 4 lines more than running yum update. You are going
> to have a hard time persuading most people that this is "too difficult",
> even for a really inexperienced sysadmin - especially since the
> procedure is documented.
>
> > Managed package repositories are all about
> > leverage.
>
> No, they are about convenience.

while far from taking sides I'd like to note that version bumps that have a
tendency of being incompatible is quite inconvenient. building missing
components from scratch/by hand precludes change in patch management etc.
Some can afford it - others can't. If you run "yum update" and get your
kernel updated and not your DRBD you can find yourself in an unplesant
situation at some point especially if you run N servers and only fraction of
them are DRBD-enabled.

Introducing "new version" in a separate repository helps admin to "fense"
his/her machines from going into unknown state.

Other way of controlling your environment would be to use staged approach and
prune updates before they are sent out to servers but that's a change in
patch management too. Not an impossible one (we do it) but could be expensive
for some.

--
Dmitry Makovey
Web Systems Administrator