[DRBD-user] URGENT Request for DRBD Developers

David Coulson david at davidcoulson.net
Fri May 23 20:59:06 CEST 2008

Art Age Software wrote:
>  slippery slope. Why not then build our own
> web server, database server, firewall software, kernel? Heck, why not
> build it all? Because that's what package management is for...
> Seriously, do you guys build everything by hand?
I typically use binary RPMs. If I need a feature or a bug fix which has
not made it into the binaries, I'll build my own. I'd take the half hour
investment in building my own packages versus the potential for
production downtime further down the road.

I don't believe this discussion has anything at all to do with 'package
management'. The few binary RPMs I've built in the last month (OCFS2 and
XFS) have all been installed on dozens of boxes as RPMs and have had no
negative impact on the package management features of the environment.

David