[DRBD-user] Cluster is giving me inode errors

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Fri May 16 19:14:33 CEST 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:12:32AM +0530, Sunil Varma wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I was using drbd version 0.7.10.
>
>  My drbd resource is /dev/sda4 partition.
>  After the first sync of the drbd I did fsck on the both the nodes (fsck
> /dev/sda4). It showed as clean.
>
>  My cluster is working with combination of heart beat and drbd , When I
> did failover then in the primary node it was not able unmount the
> /dev/sda4 and it rebooted the primary node.
> After that secondary became primary .
>
>  Then on the both nodes when I run fsck on /dev/sda4, it is showing
> i-nodes errors.\
>
>  i-node errors are

> fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> e2fsck 1.38 (30-Jun-2005)
> ext3 recovery flag is clear, but journal has data.
> Run journal anyway<y>? yes
>
> /dev/sdb4: recovering journal

you say above "sda4", now it is "sdb4" ?
why are you fsck'ing sdX, not drbdY ?

>     Is i-node errors are due to hard reboot or any thing related old drbd
> version?

hard to tell.
I'd say, most likely due to the "hard reboot", whatever that means.
do your disks use volatile write caches?

>  Will these i-node errors will get copy to the other node also during
> the sync process ?

since you fsck'ed the lower level device, thus modifying the data
bypassing DRBD, you absolutely need a full sync now.

on the node you want to be sync target,
say "drbdadm invalidate $resource"

--
: commercial DRBD/HA support and consulting: sales at linbit.com :
: Lars Ellenberg                            Tel +43-1-8178292-0  :