[DRBD-user] metadata upgrade from 0.7.22 to 8.2.5

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Thu Mar 20 11:30:32 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:51:13AM +0100, Jure Pečar wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm following Florian’s blog to upgrade drbd from 0.7.22 to 8.2.5. Now that I've managed to compile latest drbd, I'm stuck at the last step before starting it up, upgrading the metadata.
>
> As I understand, drbdadm should detect the presence of v07 metadata and offer an upgrade. But instead I get this:
>
> # drbdadm create-md drbd0
> v08 Magic number not found
> md_offset 578730696704
> al_offset 578730663936
> bm_offset 578713001984
>
> Found ext3 filesystem which uses 565035628 kB
> current configuration leaves usable 565149416 kB
>
>  ==> This might destroy existing data! <==
>
> Do you want to proceed?
> [need to type 'yes' to confirm] no
>
> Operation cancelled.
>
> Google suggests these info might be useful to you to figure out the problem.

problem is that you have been scared away.
  Found ext3 filesystem which uses A kB
  current configuration leaves usable B kB

  ==> This might destroy existing data! <==

it is not "will destroy", it is "might destroy".
the heuristic used to detect existing data,
and the space needed for it, is certainly not bullet proof.
so you have to confirm.

if (A < B and both values seem plausible)
	do it
else
	don't

but e.g. if (A < B, and it says it detected a small ext3, but you know
you have a large jfs) don't, and find out why it detected something that
you know should not be there.

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :