[DRBD-user] nfs server lock with misconfigured drbd conf file

yoann informatique-nospam at mistur.org
Fri Mar 7 19:01:20 CET 2008

Hi,

We have 2 servers wich have 8 drbd device, each device is mounted and
exported with nfs-kernel-server.

the first step was just one server up with all devices set as primary
and mounted.

the first time I've started drbd service on the second servers, we got a
big nfs dead lock, due to a misconfiguration in the drbd.conf file, they
wasn't exactly identical. I have added the parameter 'after "logs"' on
the second node but not on the first.

So, the drbd synchronisation was lock as expected, but the nfs server
too. Even if we was able to access localy on drbd mounted partition, all
nfs exports were completely down until we stoped drbd on the second node.

I would like to know if it's a behaviour expected or, there are a lock
in the kernel that can be fixed to avoid this case ?

Systems information :

System : Ubuntu Dapper 6.06 LTS
CPU : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 270
Memory : 4GB

system with root over nfs

$ uname -a
Linux data01 2.6.22.9 #1 SMP Fri Nov 30 23:34:40 CET 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

drbd version :
Version: 8.0.11 (api:86)
GIT-hash: b3fe2bdfd3b9f7c2f923186883eb9e2a0d3a5b1b build by
root at nothing03, 2008-02-15 17:27:3

kernel log when loading the module :

drbd: no version for "struct_module" found: kernel tainted.
drbd: initialised. Version: 8.0.11 (api:86/proto:86)
drbd: GIT-hash: b3fe2bdfd3b9f7c2f923186883eb9e2a0d3a5b1b build by
root at nothing03, 2008-02-15 17:25:59
drbd: registered as block device major 147
drbd: minor_table @ 0xffff8100f45ee080

version of some packages:
ii  coreutils [fileutils]     5.93-5ubuntu4
ii  initramfs-tools           0.40ubuntu34
ii  module-init-tools         3.2.2-1ubuntu7
ii  libc6                     2.3.6-0ubuntu20.5

Regards

Yoann Moulin