[DRBD-user] ERROR: Module drbd is in use

Tom Brown brown at esteem.com
Fri Mar 7 19:57:08 CET 2008

Hi,

I am experiencing an inconsistent error when I run

/etc/init.d/drbd stop

Here's what I see:

tbrown at fs01:~$ sudo /etc/init.d/drbd stop
Stopping all DRBD resourcesERROR: Module drbd is in use
.

Then the drbd module is left loaded. However, I can run

sudo rmmod drbd

just after that and it unloads the module without a problem.

I decided I could work around this problem by modifying the drbd init
script a little. I just have the script retry unloading the module if it
fails initially. It retries in a loop until it succeeds or fails five
times. I've only seen it fail up to two times on a given 'stop' command.

I am concerned that this may be indicative of a bigger problem. I saw
one post from 12/18/2007 that had the same error, but I didn't see any
solutions. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Thanks,
Tom

Hardware: 2 Dell PowerEdge SC1435's
OS: Debian Etch 4.0r3
Kernel: vanilla kernel 2.6.24.3
DRBD: 8.2.5

drbd.conf:
global {
    usage-count yes;
}

common {
  syncer { rate 115M; }
}

resource r0 {
  protocol C;
  handlers {
    pri-on-incon-degr "echo o > /proc/sysrq-trigger ; halt -f";
    pri-lost-after-sb "echo o > /proc/sysrq-trigger ; halt -f";
    local-io-error "echo o > /proc/sysrq-trigger ; halt -f";
    outdate-peer "/usr/lib/heartbeat/drbd-peer-outdater -t 5";
  }
  startup {
    wfc-timeout  20;
    degr-wfc-timeout 120;