[DRBD-user] Any recommendations or cautions on using RAID under DRBD?

Doug Knight dknight at wsi.com
Tue Mar 4 14:14:58 CET 2008

All,
I am putting together a purchase order for our production systems, and
am considering various RAID configurations. DRBD will be used between
the two systems to mirror the logical device on which our postgres
database will be located. Performance is a first priority, followed by
disk space, so I've been looking at RAID 10 and RAID 50 as possible
setups. We're planning on using 15K drives, which limits each physical
drive to 146GB, which is why I need the striping. The controllers will
have battery backed up cache, which from the postgres groups I've been
told will give us a significant performance boost. Does anyone have any
lessons learned, suggestions, etc, on such a setup, as relates to using
DRBD? The system we're looking at is the Dell PowerEdge 6800, most
likely with a non-DRBD mirrored system drive, plus a DRBD replicated
RAID 10 or 50 array supporting around 500GB.

Thanks,
Doug Knight
WSI, Corp
Andover, MA