[DRBD-user] 10Gb ethernet ?

Igor Neves igor at 3gnt.net
Thu Jun 19 12:07:00 CEST 2008

Lee Christie wrote:
>> From: Igor Neves [mailto:igor at 3gnt.net]
>> Subject: Re: [DRBD-user] 10Gb ethernet ?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm very interested in 10Gbit ethernet too. What NIC's have you found
>> for that?
>>
>> The better one we have tested is 4Gbit ethernet (4x 1Gbit
>> Ethernet from Intel).
>>

> OK we're using these
>
> http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/10GbE_XF_SR_server_ad
> apter.htm
>
> Seeing some speedy bursts, but the overall average is perhaps a bit
> disappointing :
>
> version: 8.0.12 (api:86/proto:86)
> GIT-hash: 5c9f89594553e32adb87d9638dce591782f947e3 build by
> buildsvn at c5-x8664-build, 2008-06-02 11:17:42
>  0: cs:SyncSource st:Secondary/Secondary ds:UpToDate/Inconsistent C r---
>     ns:136562636 nr:0 dw:0 dr:136570688 al:0 bm:8335 lo:1 pe:4 ua:252
> ap:0
> 	[>....................] sync'ed:  3.2% (4060478/4193840)M
> 	finish: 3:51:18 speed: 299,392 (141,956) K/sec
> 	resync: used:1/61 hits:8527077 misses:8336 starving:0 dirty:0
> changed:8336
> 	act_log: used:0/127 hits:0 misses:0 starving:0 dirty:0 changed:0
>

> Using FTP the transfer rate is 190MB/s between the two boxes. Both boxes
> are using an 8-disk RAID-0 of 1TB SATA disks which is capable of a lot
> more so I reckon the networking side of things needs tuning.

But you have tested the raid-0 doing a lot more?

Do you have tested both nodes with iperf?

How much its the performance?

This card have a problem, it's not fault tolerant, and that it's one
advantage to Quad NIC Gbit Ethernet.

With one Gbit ethernet, you should get about 120MB/sec, at least i get
it. You are mostly doing one Gbit.

--
Igor Neves <igor.neves at 3gnt.net>
3GNTW - Tecnologias de Informação, Lda