[DRBD-user] Errors and thoughts on heartbeat config from drbd users guide

Dominik Klein dk at in-telegence.net
Fri Jun 13 14:58:46 CEST 2008

> Correct, but IIRC the collocated=true default for resource groups has
> been in place only since Heartbeat 2.0.7 or so. Or maybe it was ordered
> -- can't remember. Anyway, in early 2.0.x versions you had to set one of
> these explicitly. So I just included both in the example to be on the
> safe side.

Ok. I started out with 2.0.8 so how should I know :)

>>> and not just for one primitive of the group but for the
>>> entire group.
>
> Not true. target_role is per resource.

You can set it for the group, you can also set it for each primitive.

If you want the group to start/stop, it is the easiest way to just set
it for the group. That's what I meant to say.

>>> Actually, you might leave it out as it defaults to the
>>> highest target_role a group can have (namely started) anyway.
>
> IMHO it's way smarter to configure things first with
> target_role=stopped, then start resources one by one.

Your user's guide. Sure you can do that.

>> Actually ... There's even more. The V2 example ...
>>
>> I would suggest just to point people to
>> http://www.linux-ha.org/DRBD/HowTov2
>>
>> That's - imho by far - the best document on how to use the master_slave
>> DRBD RA.
>
> And I have been continuously getting complaints from users that it was
> they found it waaaay to complicated... that's why I included a separate
> section in the User's Guide.

The master_slave configuration from the user's guide will not work. It
misses at least the really important "globally_unique" (=false)
meta_attribute for the master_slave instance. Not sure about the
defaults for the other meta_attributes usually configured with the
master_slave resource actually.

Regards
Dominik