[DRBD-user] Errors and thoughts on heartbeat config from drbd users guide

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Fri Jun 13 14:35:51 CEST 2008

Dominik Klein wrote:
>> There was a user on the linux-ha channel today that had problems with
>> the config example from this page:
>>
>> http://www.drbd.org/users-guide/s-heartbeat-crm.html
>>
>> While looking at it, there were several things about it that are
>> either wrong or at least not perfect.
>>
>> * ordered and colocated default to true in groups - no need to specify
>> them as you leave out other not absolutely needed things like IDs

Correct, but IIRC the collocated=true default for resource groups has
been in place only since Heartbeat 2.0.7 or so. Or maybe it was ordered
-- can't remember. Anyway, in early 2.0.x versions you had to set one of
these explicitly. So I just included both in the example to be on the
safe side.

>> * The attribute tags need to be closed - this is actually an error

Touché.

>> * The target_role should not be set as an instance_attribute, but as a
>> meta_attribute

Correct post-2.0.8; I had left the original syntax in for Debian and
SLES users. Now that SLES 10 SP2 has 2.1.3 and so does etch-backports,
you are correct; I need to fix that.

>> and not just for one primitive of the group but for the
>> entire group.

Not true. target_role is per resource.

>> Actually, you might leave it out as it defaults to the
>> highest target_role a group can have (namely started) anyway.

IMHO it's way smarter to configure things first with
target_role=stopped, then start resources one by one.

>> * LSB and Heartbeat resources do not need the provider option - does
>> not cause any pain, but it is not needed

OK.

> Actually ... There's even more. The V2 example ...
>
> I would suggest just to point people to
> http://www.linux-ha.org/DRBD/HowTov2
>
> That's - imho by far - the best document on how to use the master_slave
> DRBD RA.

And I have been continuously getting complaints from users that it was
they found it waaaay to complicated... that's why I included a separate
section in the User's Guide.

Any more comments are much appreciated.

Cheers,
Florian