[DRBD-user] Create partitions from DRBD

Lars Ellenberg lars.ellenberg at linbit.com
Mon Jul 28 23:35:02 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 10:16:16AM -0700, Faria wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I set the drbd.conf, then when in start drbd come this message :
> cmd /sbin/drbdsetup /dev/drbd0 disk /dev/sda7 /dev/sda7 internal --set-defaults --create-device --on-io-error=panic  failed - continuing!

normally, there should be some more information as just this.
have a look at your syslog or kernel log files,
or try that command by itself.

> I searched in web, then I found one message in forum say this :
> "create the partition with size 192MB in your hard disk."
> Ask: Do I must create this partition physically (in the hard disk) or logically ?

what is the difference between a physical and a logical partition?
all partitions are "logical", no?

> Other ask : Is partition (drdb) have a type ?

no. it does not care.

note:
	to set up drbd,
	it is not enough
	to create a config file
	and say /etc/init.d/drbd start.

you need to explicitly create the drbd meta data as well,
and initiate the initial sync.

you probably did neither of the latter yet.

may I suggest that you have a look at the users guide
 http://www.drbd.org/doc/about

read it.
read it again.
complain on this list about anything that still may seem unclear.

then follow chapter 5. "configuring drbd", and experiment with
the things in chapter 6. "common administrative tasks".

--
: Lars Ellenberg                           http://www.linbit.com :
: DRBD/HA support and consulting             sales at linbit.com :