[DRBD-user] MySQL-over-DRBD Performance

Ben Clewett ben at roadrunner.uk.com
Thu Jan 31 23:50:15 CET 2008

Carlos Xavier wrote:
> Hi Sam,
> Im sorry for being late once again, I´m still onvacation.
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Art Age Software" <artagesw at gmail.com>

Hi Carlos,

My self and other people on this mailing list have reported problems
with Boardcom NICs.  The solution in my case was to upgrade the firmware
*and* the drivers to the latest available, which fixed this problem for me.

I believe some Dell users also removed the TOC jumper on their NICs to
archive the same result.

Let us know...

Ben

>> The following results are direct to disk (no DRBD).
>>
>> Without the "oflag=dsync" option, things look fine:
>>
>> # dd if=/dev/zero bs=4096 count=10000 of=/tmp/testfile
>> 10000+0 records in
>> 10000+0 records out
>> 40960000 bytes (41 MB) copied, 0.178766 seconds, 229 MB/s
>>
>> But look what happens when I add the "oflag=dsync"  option:
>>
>> # dd if=/dev/zero bs=4096 count=10000 of=/tmp/testfile oflag=dsync
>> 10000+0 records in
>> 10000+0 records out
>> 40960000 bytes (41 MB) copied, 275.086 seconds, 149 kB/s
>>
>> What do you make of that?
>>
> I cant reproduce your tests righ now, since the system is on production,
> but soon I´ll be able to. We are migrating the system.
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Sam
>>
> Regards,
> Carlos.
>
>> On Jan 23, 2008 11:00 AM, Carlos Xavier <cbastos at connection.com.br>
>> wrote:
>>> Im sorry for the big delay on the answer, I was on vacation.
>>>
>>> I got 2 clusters running, one with Dell PowerEdge SC 1435 and controller
>>> BCM5785  and another on Dell PowerEdge 1900 with controller SAS1068.
>>> On both systems the disks used are sata disk WDC WD2500JS.

This e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended
solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed. Any
content in this message is not necessarily a view or statement from Road
Tech Computer Systems Limited but is that of the individual sender. If
you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have received
this e-mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. We use
reasonable endeavours to virus scan all e-mails leaving the company but
no warranty is given that this e-mail and any attachments are virus free.
You should undertake your own virus checking. The right to monitor e-mail
communications through our networks is reserved by us

  Road Tech Computer Systems Ltd. Shenley Hall, Rectory Lane, Shenley,
  Radlett, Hertfordshire, WD7 9AN. - VAT Registration No GB 449 3582 17
  Registered in England No: 02017435, Registered Address: Charter Court,
  Midland Road, Hemel Hempstead,  Hertfordshire, HP2 5GE.