[DRBD-user] system freezes with drbd 0.7.21 on kernel 2.6.18

Florian Haas florian.haas at linbit.com
Tue Jan 29 12:10:06 CET 2008

> disk=['file:/home/xen2/openex.img,hda1,w','file:/home/xen2/openex_swap.img,
>hda2,w']

For Xen, using file-backed VBDs in a file system replicated by DRBD is a
questionable approach. In effect, any write you issue in your domU is sent on
the following odyssey:

Xen VBD in domU -> loop device in dom0 -> filesystem in dom0 -> DRBD in
dom0 -> MD in dom0 -> physical disk

whereas what you could do, an what is recommended to do would be

Xen VBD in domU -> DRBD in domU -> MD in dom0 -> physical disk

See
http://blogs.linbit.com/florian/2007/09/03/drbd-806-brings-full-live-migration-for-xen-on-drbd/
for configuration details.

Florian

--
: Florian G. Haas
: LINBIT Information Technologies GmbH

Please note: when replying, there is no need to CC my
personal address. Replying to the list is fine. Thank you.