[DRBD-user] is LVM cluster-aware?

Mark Watts m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com
Fri Jan 25 11:02:38 CET 2008

On Friday 25 January 2008 09:48:31 Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Mark Watts schrieb:
> > On Thursday 24 January 2008 17:22:02 Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> >> Is LVM cluster-aware?
> >
> > Yes it is if you use RHEL Cluster Suite, but that depends what you mean
> > by "cluster aware".
> >
> > You can, using RHEL, configure LVM on GFS on one node, and all the other
> > cluster members will see the changes immediatly. (It works very nicely
> > actually).
>
> I always thought GFS is a filesystem, not a block device?
>
> So setting up LVM on a filesystem would really be setting up LVM in a
> file on GFS (through loop) - or am I mistaken?

You're right; I should have said "LVM under GFS". (Note to self: drink coffee
before answering email!)

You don't have to use GFS for Clustered LVM to work, but its prety useless if
you don't. Eg: you have an iSCSI block device elsewhere on the LAN, and you
want a number of clients to see/use the same filesystem on-top of it, but you
also want to use LVM. The assumption is that you _have_ to run GFS (or OCFS2)
in this situation.

This kind of Clustered LVM probably doesn't help you much with DRBD, since the
block-device isn't shared as such.

Mark.

--
Mark Watts BSc RHCE MBCS