[DRBD-user] Re: Upgrade from 0.7.25 to 8.0.8 fails during create-md

Jeff Goris jeff.goris at whiterabbit.com.au
Mon Jan 21 12:03:03 CET 2008

Florian Haas <florian.haas at ...> writes:
Hi Florian, thanks for replying.

> Jeff,
>
> On Sunday 20 January 2008 13:48:02 Jeff Goris wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two nodes running DRBD v0.7.25 on Fedora 7 with kernel
> > 2.6.22.9-91.fc7. DRBD has two resources: "data1" (/dev/drbd0 on /dev/md2)
> > and "data2" (/dev/drbd1 on /dev/md3) both running on software RAID. In
> > order to use a 2.6.23 kernel it appears that I need to upgrade to DRBD 8. I
> > read the step by step guide from Florian's blog for info on how to perform
> > a DRBD 0.7 to DRBD 8 upgrade.
>
> Which, among other things, tells you this:
> "Also, **make sure you get DRBD 8.2.3 or later**; there were some bugs in
> pre-8.2.3 versions that ran a slight chance of messing up 0.7 metadata
> conversions." (emphasis in original)

When I upgraded using yum to the first 2.6.23 kernel released for Fedora 7
(2.6.23.1-10 I believe) was released I was unable to compile DRBD 0.7.25. A
search on the mailing list archives revealed that someone else had also tried
and failed and that the recommendation was to move to DRBD 8. That post can be
found here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.network.drbd/13417/focus=13420

> Apparently, you've run into one of exactly those cases. Btw as you've no doubt
> heard, 8.2.3 has already been superseded by 8.2.4, so you should just install
> 8.2.4 and go from there.
>
> Which version in the 8.0 branch will contain the backport of the 8.2.3
> metadata conversion fix is as yet undecided. 8.0.8, which you are using, does
> not contain the fix.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian

Thanks for the info Florian. I've successfully upgraded to DRBD 8.2.4 without a
hitch.

Cheers,
Jeff.