[DRBD-user] become-primary-on both; doesn't

Sean Brown sbrown at eaglepress.com
Mon Jan 7 20:15:13 CET 2008

When rebooting, or just pulling the plug to simulate a failure a DRBD
node member, it comes up as secondary and not primary. I have become-
primary-on both; set in the conf file so I don't know what's going on
here.

dmesg reports this:

drbd0: Split-Brain detected, 1 primaries, automatically solved. Sync
from this node
drbd0: peer( Unknown -> Primary ) conn( WFReportParams -> WFBitMapS )
disk( Consistent -> UpToDate ) pdsk( DUnknown -> UpToDate )
drbd0: Writing meta data super block now.
drbd0: role( Secondary -> Primary )
drbd0: conn( WFBitMapS -> SyncSource ) pdsk( UpToDate -> Inconsistent )
drbd0: Began resync as SyncSource (will sync 278528 KB [69632 bits
set]).
drbd0: Writing meta data super block now.
drbd0: role( Primary -> Secondary )
drbd0: Resync done (total 38 sec; paused 0 sec; 7328 K/sec)
drbd0: conn( SyncSource -> Connected ) pdsk( Inconsistent -> UpToDate )
drbd0: Writing meta data super block now.

which I guess is just telling me it went from Primary to Secondary.

drbd.conf
common {
         protocol c;
}

resource sites {

         startup {
                 wfc-timeout 20;
                 degr-wfc-timeout 60;
                 wait-after-sb;
                 become-primary-on both;
         }

         net {
                 cram-hmac-alg sha1;
                 shared-secret "testcandystore";
                 allow-two-primaries;
                 after-sb-0pri discard-least-changes;
                 after-sb-1pri violently-as0p;
                 after-sb-2pri violently-as0p;
                 rr-conflict violently;
         }

         syncer {
                 rate 60M;
         }

         on node1 {
                 device /dev/drbd0;
                 disk /dev/sdb1;
                 address 192.168.0.2:7788;
                 meta-disk internal;
         }

         on node2 {
                 device /dev/drbd1;
                 disk /dev/sdb1;
                 address 192.168.0.3:7788;
		meta-disk internal;
         }

         disk {
                 fencing resource-only;

         }

         handlers {
                 outdate-peer "/etc/ha.d/resource.d/fencedrbd.sh";
         }

}

I know the violently options are documented as dangerous, I was
playing with them following this, http://wiki.samba.org/index.php/6.0._DRBD
, and so far seems the only settings that bring drbd0 back at all
after a simulated host crash. The problem is just that now it comes
back as secondary and not primary.

The problem is of course, why does it not come on as Primary?

-Thanks in advance