[DRBD-user] binary bits different between user compiled rpm and pre-compiled rpm for subscription user?

Joe,Yu smartjoe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 18:05:29 CET 2008

Hello list,

I have downloaded the OSS tar.gz format package of DRBD 8.3 from
http://oss.linbit.com/drbd/ and successfully compiled to rpm on my RHEL 5.2
x86-64 platform. (drbd-km-2.6.18_92.1.22.el5-8.3.0-3.x86_64.rpm and
drbd-8.3.0-3.x86_64.rpm).

And i also noticed that Linbit provide a copy of pre-compiled rpm for RHEL 5
at http://www.linbit.com/support/drbd-8.3.0/rhel5/2.6.18-92.1.22.el5/.

My question is what is the different , i mean binary bits different from
user compiled rpm and Linbit's pre-compiled rpm DRBD package?
Are they come from the same source code as well as same patch sets? And are
they has the same compile switches/options that i can read from OSS tar.gz
source files' configure/make environment?

One customer of my company want to deploy DRBD with Red Hat's HA cluster
suite in his production system and want to find out Linbit's software and
service model for further descision.

Regards,
Joe
LinuxTEA Professional Group